What to Expect
Mechanical engineers within the Low Voltage Distribution team routinely tackle extremely difficult engineering challenges and continuously push beyond what was deemed impossible regarding electrical and thermal performance, cost, and delivery timelines. Working closely with electrical engineers, firmware engineers, and manufacturing engineers, the technologies developed by the mechanical engineering team enable world class performance in our vehicles and energy storage products. This is evident by the unequaled technology and integration in our vehicles. Such feats demand strong creativity and strict engineering rigor using first principle reasoning. The role requires utilization of skills across many disciplines
What You’ll Do
- Engineering design responsibility for a wide variety of electrical wire harnesses in Tesla programs, both current and future production.
- Engineering design responsibility for custom component design for integration of harnessing solutions from and sustaining support throughout the component’s lifecycle.
- Engineering responsibility throughout all stages from conceptualization to prototyping to mass production.
- Making design decisions and retaining ownership of designs throughout their lifespan.
- Design for manufacturability and complexity reduction for mass manufacturing.
- Working directly with suppliers as well as with Tesla SIE’s (Supplier Industrial Engineer) and GSM’s (Global Supply Manager) to source components, create workflows and support production.
- Support/lead prototyping efforts as well as RC, Beta and Pilot builds.
- Create prototyping and rework instructions and support technician teams.
- Actively pursue new technologies and design alternatives to improve quality, manufacturability, and cost efficiency to products for which you are responsible for.
- Closely work with cross-functional teams to create solutions which benefit the overall product goal.
What You’ll Bring
- Mechanical Engineering degree strongly preferred.
- Strong knowledge of materials properties and applications, fabrication methods in both low and high volume.
- Strong analytical background to ensure a successful design (tolerance stack-ups, solid mechanics, thermal, cost and mass optimization etc.)
- Have a passion for electro-mechanical product design, inventing solutions, and finding better and simpler ways to meet product requirements.
- Ability to present data/trade-offs to management to facilitate decision making.
- CAD experience, 2D and 3D (Catia preferred).
- Experience in prototyping using novel techniques.
- Experience includes multiple projects taking parts from initial concept and design through to production.
- Experience with designing with FFC’s FPC’s and rigid-flex technologies.
- Experience with designing dynamic bending solutions for long-life applications.
- Experience integrating PCBA’s and other electronics into mechanical assemblies.
Compensation and Benefits
Along with competitive pay, as a full-time Tesla employee, you are eligible for the following benefits at day 1 of hire:
- Aetna PPO and HSA plans > 2 medical plan options with $0 payroll deduction
- Family-building, fertility, adoption and surrogacy benefits
- Dental (including orthodontic coverage) and vision plans, both have options with a $0 paycheck contribution
- Company Paid (Health Savings Account) HSA Contribution when enrolled in the High Deductible Aetna medical plan with HSA
- Healthcare and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
- LGBTQ+ care concierge services
- 401(k) with employer match, Employee Stock Purchase Plans, and other financial benefits
- Company paid Basic Life, AD&D, short-term and long-term disability insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Sick and Vacation time (Flex time for salary positions), and Paid Holidays
- Back-up childcare and parenting support resources
- Voluntary benefits to include: critical illness, hospital indemnity, accident insurance, theft & legal services, and pet insurance
- Weight Loss and Tobacco Cessation Programs
- Tesla Babies program
- Commuter benefits
- Employee discounts and perks program
$80,000 - $300,000/annual salary + cash and stock awards + benefits
Pay offered may vary depending on multiple individualized factors, including market location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. The total compensation package for this position may also include other elements dependent on the position offered. Details of participation in these benefit plans will be provided if an employee receives an offer of employment.
Tesla is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, gender identity or any other factor protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
Tesla is also committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. Please let your recruiter know if you need an accommodation at any point during the interview process.
For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here). Please contact [email protected] for additional information or to request accommodations.
Privacy is a top priority for Tesla. We build it into our products and view it as an essential part of our business. To understand more about the data we collect and process as part of your application, please view our Tesla Talent Privacy Notice