▶ Who we are
Imagine working in a place where continuous improvement and innovation is celebrated and rewarded; where fast-paced, high-impact teams come together to positively drive results for one of the largest & most iconic brands in the world.
As the only rapidly growing retailer, you may know us as your friendly neighborhood store. You probably know our familiar name, have seen our pervasive logo, and have tried our highly sought-after products, such as Slurpee® and Big Bite®. “Brain Freeze” is a 7-Eleven registered trademark for our 53-year old Slurpee® and with over 77,000 stores globally (more than any other retailer or food service provider), we sell over 14 million a month.
But there’s a lot more to our story and much more left to be written. We are transforming our business, ensuring we are customer obsessed and digitally enabled to seamlessly link our brick and mortar stores with digital products and services.
At 7-Eleven the entrepreneurial spirit is in our DNA and has been ever since our inception 90+ years ago. It’s what drove us to invent the convenience industry in 1927 by envisioning how a simple ice dock could provide household staples such as milk and eggs to better serve the needs of our customers.
Today we are redefining convenience and the customer experience in big ways...we are fundamentally changing our culture and we want talented, innovative, customer obsessed, and entrepreneurial people like you to come make history with us.
▶ How we lead
At 7-Eleven we are guided by our Leadership Principles.
- Be Customer Obsessed
- Be Courageous with Your Point of View
- Challenge the Status Quo
- Act Like an Entrepreneur
- Have an “It Can Be Done” Attitude
- Do the Right Thing
- Be Accountable
Each principle has a defined set of behaviors which help guide the 7-Eleven team to Serve Customers and Support Stores.
▶ About This Opportunity
The Associate Category Manager in the strategic development of the category sales plan that is consistent with the overall Merchandise strategy. Promote and verify execution of category strategy at the store.
- Take ownership of one or several small categories and ensure that the category fits into the total store perspective.
- Sales & Planning.
- Assist the Senior Category Manager to develop, manage and communicate sales plans for overall category sales plans.
- Complete entry for national sales planning tool, including de-averaged costs/retail, and new/expanded items/offers.
- Ensure marketing and POP are developed for categories for monthly sales plan; proof monthly solicitation for accuracy, make recommendations as necessary to support development of regional POP item forecasts.
- Support Product Director and Senior Category Manager on day-to-day activities that include Strategic Pricing team as well as supporting Senior Category Manager in the preparation for and engagement in vendor meetings related to product assortment architecture and cost of goods negotiations.
- Assist the Senior CM in developing and executing strategic merchandising initiatives such as roles and intents of categories and segmentation.
- Support the Senior CM developing and executing vendor and product specific strategies.
- Vendor / Supplier Relationships & Supply Chain Management.
- Assist Senior CM in managing vendor relationships as requested.
- Collaborate with Logistics and Senior Category Manager to ensure stable supply within the demand chain including close collaboration with Logistics team/partners.
- Additionally, assist Senior Category Manager with product quality attributes and ensuring products are delivering on quality/value needs of customers.
- Monitor, execute and verify category offers, costs, bill-backs, allowances, terms, co-op media and other related opportunities; coordinate/communicate with Senior Category Manager.
- Ensure proper information provided for suppliers including product costs, bill-back, allowances, discounts, LDUÆs, routing information, new item set up details and new vendor set up details.
- Assist Senior CM with forecasting activities including historic sales, store returns, seasonality and cannibalization for all categories as requested by the Senior CM, coordinating with the Merchandiser and Category Specialist.
- Assortment/Display management (including POP/Customer messaging).
- Lead national schematics under guidance of the Senior CM.
- Coordinate with Merchandiser to ensure regional sets are developed and in line with the national strategy.
- Review strategy and decisions with the Senior CM before implementation.
- Track all key sales metrics (sales/group/unit/margin) for categories as requested by the Senior CM.
- Analyze and share insights with Senior Category Manager, Product Director, Zone Leader and other Operations leadership to driving improved results and enhance understanding of the business.
- Evaluate SSI and NRIs for further testing or expansion to ensure the optimal recommended assortment. Review recommendations with Senior CM for implementation.
- Assist Senior CM in optimizing Gross Profit dollars. Conduct ongoing financial analysis of national sets by evaluating product SKU productivity.
- Develop and oversee in-store testing of potential new products, concepts and promotional activity.
- Optimize display management opportunities within assigned category and assigned zones.
- Support testing activity including preparation/delivering communication materials, tracking of results/feedback to Test areas/stores, verification in stores/Franchise feedback.
- Assist integration of roles and intents and segmentation into assortment decisions at the national and regional level.
- Work with vendors to introduce/expand new/existing items based on store and customer segments while retracting items in underperforming segments to optimize overall assortment.
- Coordinate SEE vendor sponsorships, samplings, and other events on a national and regional level for categories supported.
- Reworking and troubleshooting outputs (decisions on proposed items, item setup, etc) and handing requests from accounting.
- Conduit for communication.
- Provide point-of-view to Operational leadership based on CSA/marketplace understanding; be advocate for customer across the category û engage Operations to support.
- Assist Senior CM to communicate requirements, volume changes/sales plan, other key sales plan information to Division Logistics Manager/Logistics team and coordinate readiness for delivery.
- Assist the Senior CM in communicating integrated sales plans (national/zone) and ensure comprehensive delivery of necessary facts/data/SOP.
- Coach Operations regarding best merchandising practices for the category; describe how to sell and what is cost/benefit.
- Education: Bachelors/4 Year Degree.
- Experience: 1-3 years.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Effective communication.
- Negotiating experience.
- Understanding of financial methodology to determine costs and to develop annual business plan.