This is an environment unlike anything in the high-tech world and the secret of Costco’s success is its culture. The value Costco puts on its employees is well documented in articles from a variety of publishers including Bloomberg and Forbes. Our employees and our members come FIRST. Costco is well known for its generosity and community service and has won many awards for its philanthropy. The company joins with its employees to take an active role in volunteering by sponsoring many opportunities to help others. In 2021, Costco contributed over $58 million to organizations such as United Way and Children's Miracle Network Hospitals.
Full Stack Engineers perform development work across the technology stack (both front-end/back-end expertise). Full Stack Engineers are versatile in how they can add value, demonstrating the ability to manage the completion of projects that involve databases, backend services, or the development of user-facing websites.
The Full Stack Engineer will be the technical shepherd for one or more teams. This position requires deep technical expertise, domain proficiency, platform depth, and leadership. The Full Stack Engineer coaches and mentors engineers and developers to help them progress their technical knowledge and careers. Typical activities include leading requirements analysis, solution design, technical development, and process improvement coupled with the ability to drive efforts and solution improvements effectively.
Costco Travel IT is responsible for the technical future of Costco Wholesale , the third largest retailer in the world with wholesale operations in fourteen countries. Despite our size and explosive international expansion, we continue to provide a family, employee centric atmosphere in which our employees thrive and succeed. As proof, Costco ranks seventh in Forbes “World’s Best Employers” .
If you want to be a part of one of the worldwide BEST companies “to work for”, simply apply and let your career be reimagined.
● Supports Systems Architects with the design of the overall architecture of a specific product/application, applying principles that promote availability, reusability, interoperability and security into the design framework.
● Performs development, optimization, and automation activities to support the implementation of a product/application.
● Increases proficiency and understanding of relational and non-relational databases, distributed application architectures, user interfaces and user experience, quality assurance, security concerns, and business value creation.
● Adopts engineering best practices to deliver higher quality and scalable solutions.
● Provides the team with the development strategy, solution recommendations, and estimates for a given product/application.
● Participates in scrum ceremonies (sprint planning, retrospective, showcases/demos, stand-ups, backlog refinement, etc.).
● Creates and executes unit tests which validate the code changes made to support the implementation of a user story.
● Uses test driven development (TDD) practices to assist with the detection/recognition of software defects early in the development process.
● Identifies deficiencies within a product / application’s code base and identifies opportunities to improve overall code quality.
● Works with team members to move user stories from the development backlog into testing and provides clarification when needed.
● Estimates, plans, and manages all implementation tasks and reports on development progress.
● Demonstrates a strong understanding of emerging technologies to support the development of new solutions.
● Collaborates with team members (e.g., Systems Architects, Systems Analysts) to define project specifications and release documentation for all phases of the product development cycle from product definition to design, through implementation.
● Conducts peer code reviews for the software changes made by other engineers within a team.
● Oversees technical design and development of in-house travel booking web applications based on the gathered requirements for multiple development teams.
● Leads and collaborates in planning, decomposing, and estimating new delivery work.
● Ensures solutions are secure, durable, scalable, flexible, and accessible; mitigates proactively against production support issues.
● Manages and provides multiple technical solutions; performs code reviews; establishes and enforces coding guidelines and best practices.
● Initiates and facilitates team meetings to socialize technical ideas. Encourages a culture of technical excellence within the organization and identifies opportunities for adopting innovation.
● Provides coaching and mentoring to team members, disseminates information through documentation, workshops, etc. to drive operational efficiencies and technical growth within the team.
● Understands and escalates technical challenges with options and recommendations.
● 5+ years’ experience with design and development of client/server and/or web based applications.
● 4+ years’ experience with core Java, Java EE technologies (Servlet and JSP).
● 4+ years’ experience working with relational databases (preferably MS-SQL Server and T-SQL).
● Good understanding and experience with SOAP and/or REST based Web services.
● Demonstrated track record of driving high-quality software design/implementation to production.
● A quick learner with the ability to learn and incorporate new technologies and concepts.
● Self-motivated, dedicated, and driven to succeed.
● Able to easily shift focus with changing priorities.
● Excellent debugging, troubleshooting, and problem solving skills.
● Excellent communication, collaboration, analytical, and problem solving skills.
● Experience programming in major databases such as Microsoft SQL Server.
● Must possess a strong understanding of the software development process.
● Strong knowledge of object oriented concepts.
● Strong knowledge and experience working with databases.
● Strong verbal and written communication skills and be able to communicate to both technical and Business audiences.
● Demonstrated ability to execute against iteration plans and deliver assignments within scope, schedule, and budget.
● Ability to work with all management levels.
● Must have high integrity, accountability, a positive attitude, and be willing to do what it takes to make the team successful.
● Team player, good interpersonal, organizational and communication skills. Creative, likes challenges.
● Strong organizational and time management skills with ability to multitask and prioritize work effectively in a fast-paced working environment.
● Must be extremely responsive, able to work under pressure in crisis with a strong sense of urgency.
● Responsible, conscientious, organized, self-motivated and able to work with limited supervision.
● Must be detail-oriented and possess strong problem-solving skills and ability to analyze potential future issues.
● Able to support off-hours work as required, including weekends, holidays, and 24/7 on call responsibilities on a rotational basis.
● Bachelor’s degree, or the equivalent, in Computer Science, Engineering, or a related field.
● A passion for being part of a team willing to self-assess to continually find better ways to do things.
● Experience working in a Scrum/Agile environment.
● Excellent organizational skills.
● Travel industry knowledge.
Apart from any religious or disability considerations, open availability is needed to meet the needs of the business. If hired, you will be required to provide proof of authorization to work in the United States. Applicants and employees for this position will not be sponsored for work authorization, including, but not limited to H1-B visas.
Level 3 - $127,500 - $162,500
Level 4 - $152,500 - $162,500, Bonus and Restricted Stock Unit (RSU) eligible
We offer a comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off, health benefits - medical/dental/vision/hearing aid/pharmacy/behavioral health/employee assistance, health care reimbursement account, dependent care assistance plan, short-term disability and long-term disability insurance, AD&D insurance, life insurance, 401(k), stock purchase plan to eligible employees.
Costco is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Costco is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or any other legally protected status. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to [email protected]
If hired, you will be required to provide proof of authorization to work in the United States.