The Principal Unity Gameplay Engineer is responsible for the management, design, and implementation of game systems. You will provide leadership for our organization and technical mentorship and for our engineers.
- Design and implement key gameplay and engine features independently or in a supervisory capacity over larger engineering or cross-disciplinary teams
- Collaborate with Director and project leads to define technical specifications for large systems
- Collaborate across engineering disciplines to develop verticals that improve efficiency and quality
- Demonstrate expertise and ownership over multiple areas of the codebase
- Mentor, motivate and inspire junior engineers
- Lead cross-disciplinary dialogs to drive features from initial concept to completion
- Establish, apply, and drive coding standards and best practices for the department and project teams
- Partner with other Engineers to organize, update, and manage shared library of assets and process documents
- Exemplify reliability, accountability, and professionalism in all work-related interaction
- Lead by example, creating a strong sense of purpose and community, and promoting a culture of excellence
Skills and Abilities
- Expert programming and architectural skills across multiple development environments
- Ability to objectively evaluate code as part of a formal review process and professionally communicate opportunities for improved performance, resilience, and stability
- Ability to coordinate effectively and build partnerships within the engineering team and other development verticals
- Demonstrated fundamentals of leadership, including clear and proactive communication, meeting moderation, and oversight of large cross-disciplinary initiatives
- Able to manage multiple, competing tasks and be self-directed to meet deadlines in a quickly evolving environment
- Positive attitude and ability to receive and provide objective and constructive feedback
- Excellent organization skills
Education and Experience
- Computer Science, Mathematics, Engineering, or related degree, or equivalent work experience
- 10+ years’ experience delivering production-level code in a professional environment
- Experience shipping multiple successful game products into the marketplace
- iOS or Android mobile development experience within the Unity 3D environment
- Experience supporting a live operations service
- Extensive experience with Jira, Confluence, or other defect tracking software
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
- Our core hours are 10am to 6pm cst, which means you should be available for meetings etc. during this time
- Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
At Netflix, we carefully consider a wide range of compensation factors to determine your personal top of market. We rely on market indicators to determine compensation and consider your specific job family, background, skills, and experience to get it right. These considerations can cause your compensation to vary and will also be dependent on your location.
The overall market range for roles in this area of Netflix is typically $50,000 - $600,000.
This market range is based on total compensation (vs. only base salary), which is in line with our compensation philosophy. Netflix is a unique culture and environment.