What to Expect
Tesla is on a path to build humanoid bi-pedal robots at scale to automate repetitive and boring tasks. Core to the Tesla Bot, the motion planning stack presents a unique opportunity to work on state-of-the-art algorithms for motion planning and navigation culminating in their deployment to real world production applications. Our motion planning software engineers develop and own this stack from inception to deployment. Most importantly, you will see your work repeatedly shipped to and utilized by thousands of Humanoid Robots within our factories.
What You’ll Do
Develop motion planning software and algorithms for humanoid bi-pedal robots
- Reason about measurement as well as environmental uncertainty and develop algorithms that adapt well to imperfect information
- Tackle problems across multiple domains including but not limited to high level decision-making, multi-agent interactions and trajectory generation
- Assist with overall software architecture design, including designing interfaces between subsystems
- Ship production quality, safety-critical software
- Leverage fleet data and state-of-the-art techniques in ML
- Collaborate with a team of exceptional individuals laser focused on bringing robotic automation to fruition.
What You’ll Bring
Production quality modern C++
- Mathematical fundamentals, including : geometry, linear algebra, vector calculus, probability and statistics. Experience implementing this math effectively in software
- Ability to rapidly prototype and test new algorithms At least one of the following -
- Shipped safety critical software for real time applications in a fast-pace environment
- Experience developing modern planning approaches such as search, sampling, trajectory optimization and model predictive control on real robots.
- Strong background in numerical optimization
- Experience designing highly optimized software for games
- Experience in Imitation, RL (especially offline/off-policy), modern NN architectures (such as GPT) or related techniques. Preference given to experience using “real world” datasets vs toy setups like MuJoCo.
- Background in Computer Science/Engineering, Robotics, Physics, similar field(s) of study, or equivalent practical knowledge
- Python/PyTorch experience nice to have
Compensation and Benefits
Along with competitive pay, as a full-time Tesla employee, you are eligible for the following benefits at day 1 of hire:
- Aetna PPO and HSA plans > 2 medical plan options with $0 payroll deduction
- Family-building, fertility, adoption and surrogacy benefits
- Dental (including orthodontic coverage) and vision plans, both have options with a $0 paycheck contribution
- Company Paid (Health Savings Account) HSA Contribution when enrolled in the High Deductible Aetna medical plan with HSA
- Healthcare and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
- LGBTQ+ care concierge services
- 401(k) with employer match, Employee Stock Purchase Plans, and other financial benefits
- Company paid Basic Life, AD&D, short-term and long-term disability insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Sick and Vacation time (Flex time for salary positions), and Paid Holidays
- Back-up childcare and parenting support resources
- Voluntary benefits to include: critical illness, hospital indemnity, accident insurance, theft & legal services, and pet insurance
- Weight Loss and Tobacco Cessation Programs
- Tesla Babies program
- Commuter benefits
- Employee discounts and perks program
$108,000 - $330,000/annual salary + cash and stock awards + benefits
Pay offered may vary depending on multiple individualized factors, including market location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. The total compensation package for this position may also include other elements dependent on the position offered. Details of participation in these benefit plans will be provided if an employee receives an offer of employment.
Tesla is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, gender identity or any other factor protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
Tesla is also committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. Please let your recruiter know if you need an accommodation at any point during the interview process.
For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here). Please contact [email protected] for additional information or to request accommodations.
Privacy is a top priority for Tesla. We build it into our products and view it as an essential part of our business. To understand more about the data we collect and process as part of your application, please view our Tesla Talent Privacy Notice